The PRINCIPLE trial aims to find treatments that reduce hospital admission and improve symptoms for people with COVID-19. You could be eligible to join if:
- You have had these symptoms for fewer than 15 days:
- a continuous new or worsening cough
- a high temperature
- You are aged 50 to 64 with a pre-existing illness
- You are aged 65 and above
The PRINCIPLE study, run by the University of Oxford, is funded by the UK government as a national priority study to find treatments for COVID-19. The study aims to find treatments that reduce hospital admission and speed recovery for people in the community with symptoms of COVID-19 (a new or worsening continuous cough and/or a high temperature which started less than 15 days ago). People must be aged 65 and over, or aged 50-64 with underlying health conditions to be included in the study.
More information on the study can be found here: www.principletrial.org
The study team have recently opened up a self referral route for recruitment whereby patients can respond directly to the study team. Consent and screening is completed online and study packs are then sent directly to the patient which means that there are two things that you could help us with:
- Study promotion – We would like to promote the study in as many practices as possible across the region so please find attached an approved poster and wording for the website which would be very grateful if you were willing to display/upload
- Eligibility checks for self referred patients – If a patient from your practice self refers to take part in the study you may be contacted by the study team asking for you for some information to confirm their eligibility. There will be £50 payment per patient payable for the completion of this check which can be invoiced from the study team on practice headed paper to be sent to: email@example.com
If you are able to help us with either of these activities please could you complete the form available online, so that we can capture the best contact for eligibility queries and where the study is being promoted in the region.
Thank you in anticipation for your support.